Sunday, January 4, 2009

Getting Started

Ok...how cliche is it to start a new diet at the beginning of a new year. Couple that with the fact that this is a blog, the last thing the world needs another one of, and you have my project.

The last ten years of my life have been wonderful for me. I got married and I have three beautiful children. The downside is, I gained the weight equivalent of a set of four car tires. That's 100lbs to those of you playing along at home. I won't bore you with all of the unpleasant side effects of being this overweight. There are many and they suck. I will tell you that shopping at a big and tall store when you aren't tall is like browsing for movies behind "that curtain" at a video store. It's a little sad and you don't want anyone to see you doing it.

I have tried many diets and have spent a lot of money trying to reverse my unpleasant expansion...all to no avail. So here is my plan: I am going to try and eat better and exercise. What a concept! The twist this time around is that I am going to take you all (my family and friends) along with me on this ride. My goal is to be in better shape at 40 than I was at 30.

I turn 40 on January 14, 2010. That is a little over a year from today. I weighed about 225 in 2000...so there's the bar. I am not just going to use weight as my measuring stick. Stamina, blood pressure, fat %, etc. will be considered as well. Right now, I'm 100% fat, so there is nowhere to go but up (er down!).

For many, sharing their weight and struggle could be humiliating. I intend to try and make it fun. Feel free to comment on my posts. Teasing and poking fun are encouraged. I ask that you keep it PG-13 since there will be some younger folks paying attention.

Off to the races...

6 comments:

  1. Len,

    I admire your courage to try a new plan. Good luck!

    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good idea, Len. Good luck and I'll definitely watch the blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Len - you're awesome man! I know you can do it! Good luck. I look forward to reading about your success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, from a fellow fat guy, I know you can do it.
    As I'm sure you know getting the weight off is the easy part, keeping it off is the real trick.
    I went low carb about 5 years ago & lost about 40 pounds & 6 inches around the waist in less than 9 months.
    Then I drifted back to the dark(chocolate)side, & put on about 50 pounds in the next 9 to 12 months & that's were I've been hovering since.
    Good Luck, I'm pulling for you & I'll be reading your updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea and good luck Len! We'll be pulling for you, I just hope I don't find your "lost" weight, since I have gained about 35 pounds since Maddie was born in '03 and am hoping to shed a few this year myself. Take care of yourself - Rob H.

    ReplyDelete